Most electric wheelchairs are cushioned. Many people like to cover their wheelchair cushions with seat covers for extra padding and easier cleaning. Here we will discuss the utility of a wheelchair seat cover and the factors to keep in mind while buying one. We will also review the best electric wheelchair seat covers that are available in the market. If you are in a hurry, have a quick look at the snapshot below.
Last update 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Electric wheelchair seat material is often leather or synthetic leather. Sometimes it is fabric upholstery, with firm sponge cushioning inside. There are a few reasons why you would need a cushion cover or seat cover for your wheelchair. These reasons are as listed below.
Why Do You Need a Seat Cover for Your Electric Wheelchair
- Leather will be cold to the touch in cold winters. If you are living in the north, in an area where temperatures can be a bit unforgiving in the winters, you have likely already experienced the damp coldness of your leather wheelchair parts in cold weather. While leather provides a great barrier or insulation against the cold, the surface may be uncomfortably cold to the touch and it will take you a few minutes of discomfort to get used to it. This discomfort can be avoided by using a suitable seat cover
- It is not easy to wash and disinfect your wheelchair seat very frequently. You would not be able to use the wheelchair for some time after the wash. Seat covers are generally easily washable and therefore can be utilized to save your actual cushion or seat from stains and spillages, especially if your seat has a fabric upholstery.
- Often power wheelchairs may come with a basic seat with no cushion or a cushion which is too firm. Seat covers often have some cushion of their own or are made of woolly or fleece material which will add to your comfort, especially during long periods of using your wheelchair.
Things to Consider while Buying a Seat or Cushion Cover
- Quality and cushioning: These factors should be at the top of your mind while buying the seat cover. Seat covers are meant for rough use and therefore they should be of durable material without compromising comfort. The material itself should provide a bit of cushion, like fleece or double layered wool and it may also have some extra in-built cushion.
- Machine washable: Your seat cover should be a breeze to wash, it should not be a headache for you, otherwise it will lose its meaning. It should be repetitively machine washable with mild detergent.
- Warmth during winter: Your wheelchair seat cover should make you feel extra cosy during the cold winters, they should make you feel like using the wheelchair, and not repel you because of the cold seat.
- Size of your seat: It is important for you to take a measurement of your seat before you select the right size of your seat cover. If you do not get the right size, you can get a slightly larger size cover for your seat which will not likely compromise on any of the other factors.
- Returns: It is good to bear in mind that these items are mostly non-returnable due to hygiene considerations. So pick your cover correctly the first time.
Electric wheelchair seat covers may be of few types. They may be like a standalone cushion cover with zipper or velcro. Or they may be slightly larger which covers parts of the back rest and the arm rests as well. Or, they may just be like a flat absorbent waterproof protector between you and your seat with an extra layer of cushioning at the top.
Best Electric Wheelchair Seat Covers
Read on for some tips and reviews which will make your buying decision easier.
#1 Roho Quadtro Replacement Cover
This is a black cushion cover with zipper and it is suitable for cushions with dimensions of 18 x 18 inches. The actual size of the product is 19.5 x 18.5 x 4.25 inches. The bottom of the cushion is lined with non-slip PVC coating which allows the cover to remain in place under the weight of the user.
- Machine washable
- Made of durable material
- Non slip PVC coating will prevent wheelchair user from sliding down the seat
- Will only fit cushions with similar size; may not be suitable if you seat or cushion is slightly larger than this.
#2 Priva Ultra Plus Absorbent Seat Protector
This seat or cushion protector is available in many sizes out of which the one with 22 x 17 inches dimension is appropriate for wheelchair seats. The product has 4 layers with thin cushioning on the top, absorbing material in the middle and anti-slip material on the bottom.
- Very cost effective solution for a seat cover
- Absorbs quickly and saves your seat from spills
- Made of durable material and may last up to 300 washes
- Machine washable and easy maintenance
- May not stay in place under your weight and may require periodic adjustment
#3 PURAP Wheelchair Seat Cushion Cover
The seat or cushion cover is made of breathable fabric which makes for a more comfortable long duration ride on your wheelchair. The dimensions are 20 x 18 x 1.5 inches and it is a slip on cover with no zipper or velcro.
- Good quality waterproof saves your wheelchair seat from stains or spills
- Easily removable and machine washable
- Can be used with a wide range of standard electric wheelchairs
- Not much padding and may not be effective in preventing skin sores
- May not fit very snugly on your cushion, depending on seat size
#4 AmeriMark Chair Cushion Pad Seat Cover for Wheelchair
This seat cover, which also has significant amount of cushioning, is designed to not only cover your wheelchair seat, but it also covers your back rest, head rest and arm rests. So, there is some extra cushioning everywhere, which is helpful in reducing pain and friction. The seat cover dimensions are 42 (W) x 38 (L) x 2 (D) inches.
- Very suitable for wheelchairs with basic cushioning on the seat and back rests
- Adds extra comfort in the winter by helping you avoid contact with the cold parts of your wheelchair
- Available in 6 colors
- Fits a wide range of standard sized wheelchairs
- Comfortable for wheelchair users who have tendency to develop skin sore or skin breaks; eases stress during long periods of wheelchair use
- Easy to wash
- May not be suitable if your wheelchair seat depth is smaller as this cushion will take up another 1 inch of space on your back
#5 Roho Standard Wheelchair Replacement Cushion Cover
This cushion cover is available in 15 sizes from 16 x 16 inches to 20 x 20 inches (and different combinations of length & width in between). Fits a wide range of cushions within these dimensions. You should select the correct size for yourself while making the purchase.
- Machine washable
- Accommodates a wide range of cushion sizes
- Nonslip coating on the bottom of the cover prevents the cushion from sliding down due to your weight.
- Customer service can be improved
#6 Americare Absorbent Washable Waterproof Seat Protector
This is a waterproof seat protector with good utility – the upper layer of this product is made up of velour for thin layer of cushioning; the middle layer is made of absorbing material and the last layer is made of non-slip material so that the protector does not slide down under your weight. The dimensions are 21 x 22 inches and will be able to cover most wheelchair seats. The protector can last up to 300 washes.
- Cost effective solution for keeping your seat dry and stain free
- Available in six colors
- Machine washable and drier friendly – eases efforts towards maintenance of the protector
- Compatible with any electric wheelchair
- The absorbing ability may taper off after few washes; Longevity may depend on the frequency of washes
#7 Essential Medical Sheepette Synthetic Lambskin Wheelchair Seat Cover
This seat cover is made of synthetic sheepskin material and comes in different sizes. The one with the dimensions of 30 x 24 inches is suitable for wheelchair seats.
- Increases warmth and comfort during cold weather
- Machine washable with mild detergent and drier friendly, reducing maintenance hassles
- Elastic straps help in securing the cover in its original place and does not slide under your weight
- Good option if you are on the way to recovery from bed sores or prone to bed sores or skin breaks
- Not suitable for protection against spills
- Edges are sometimes not rounded of properly and may lead to skin abrasions
Best Electric Wheelchair Seat Covers – Conclusion
Like we often accessorize our cars, buying a few extra items to make your electric wheelchair more comfortable to use should be the right thing to do. A well selected seat cover goes a long way to improve your comfort on your wheelchair and also increases your peace of mind by enhancing flexibility in washing only the seat cover more frequently. We hope that our review of best seat covers for electric wheelchairs would make your decision process easier.
If you are looking for other wheelchair accessories, you can read our article on best wheelchair seat belts. You may also enjoy our article on devices that help the elderly to be more independent.