The Top Lightweight Transport Wheelchairs Reviewed
If you are new to the world of wheelchairs, you might not know that not all wheelchairs are created equal.
For example, there are differences between standard wheelchairs and lightweight wheelchairs.
Like their name suggests, lightweight wheelchairs are much easier to pick up and travel with than your typical heavy wheelchair. They trade off some of the durability of heavy duty construction in exchange for increased mobility.
Another special type of wheelchair is the transport wheelchair, which require a caregiver to push the chair in order to move it. While standard wheelchairs have their benefits, lightweight chairs prove to be best for transportation. When paired with a portable wheelchair ramp they can make much easier to restore mobility to a loved one that requires a wheelchair.
Lightweight Transport Wheelchair Quick Reference Guide
We review our top picks below, but here is a quick summary for those in a hurry:
How Important Is a Lightweight Wheelchair?
If you have a loved one in a wheelchair, you want to ensure that they can be transported as comfortably and easily as possible; lightweight wheelchairs can make that happen. When it comes to transporting patients, a lightweight wheelchair is instrumental for caregivers. This is due to the many benefits these chairs can provide.
For example, lightweight, portable wheelchairs liberate wheelchair users from the confines of remaining in one place, allowing them to travel more freely. Here are some of the important features to look for:
- Compact – Lightweight wheelchairs are not bulky like typical wheelchairs, and oftentimes they can conveniently fold up to fit into tight spaces in a vehicle.
- Lightweight – A heavy wheelchair discourages handicapped individuals from ever leaving the comfort and convenience of their home, which is why transport wheelchairs can make such a positive lifestyle change. For example, some wheelchair users may be able to stand upright for long enough to pick up their wheelchair, put it in the trunk, and walk the short distance to the driver’s seat. This alone can drastically improve their quality of life, allowing them the freedom to travel alone, without relying on costly caregivers.
- Portable – Portability is a crucial element in transport wheelchairs, which is one reason why lightweight wheelchairs are so handy.
- Mobile – While the fact that these chairs are lightweight and compact make them easier for caregivers to move and transport wherever they need to go, lightweight transport wheelchairs also make it easier for the handicapped individual to maneuver themselves around. A heavy wheelchair is nearly impossible to push yourself around in, which significantly reduces your mobility.
Top 5 Lightweight Transport Wheelchairs
Everybody’s individual situation is different, especially with their handicap transportation needs. Determining the best lightweight transport wheelchair can be tough because there are so many great options available to you, but we will help you narrow it down.
Here are our top 5 lightweight transport wheelchairs:
The seat itself is quite comfortable with padded upholstery and reinforced arm pads that are designed to protect the wheelchair from any potential ripping or stretching.
- 12-Inch Rear Wheels
- Removeable Footrests
- Removeable Seat Belt
- A Weight Capacity of 300 Pounds
- Patented NOVA Feather Touch Hand Brakes
- Incredibly Safe – With the NOVA Feather Touch hand brakes, the brakes can be conveniently locked whenever you need to, allowing the wheelchair to be safely parked or transported over inclines and even bumpy terrain.
- Foldable – This NOVA wheelchair comes with a quick release fold down back, making it perfect for efficiently folding up and placing in and out of a vehicle.
- Easy To Travel With – All the features of this chair enhance its high level of portability.
- Extremely Durable – This chair is almost 30 pounds, but that means it isn’t some flimsy wheelchair that will fall apart after just a few uses. Users are thrilled with the durability of this wheelchair, and it feels sturdy while in use, which is very important.
With the chair weighing almost 30 pounds, some people found it a little tough to lift easily. Fortunately, the removable footrests come in handy here – by removing them, the chair becomes much easier to lift and place in the back of your car. This chair is very easy to push yourself or someone else in, and it provides a very smooth ride.
Overall, this highly rated chair is recommended often by both users as well as on reputable merchant sites such as Amazon.
- Most versatile lightweight Transport Chair with flip up desk arms, locking hand brakes, 12" rear wheels, removable footrests and seat belt
- Comes with NOVA's patented Feather Touch locking hand brakes, ideal for inclines and bumpy terrain. It has fixed full-length arms for added comfort
- Folds easily and compactly making it ideal for travel and getting the chair in and out of a car
- Flip up desk arms make it easy to transfer in and out as well as use at a table or desk. Footplate height from floor- 5 - 9 inch
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds; Seat dimensions: 18.25"W x 15.5"D; Seat height: 20"; Opened overall width: 25"; Product weight: 27.35 lb; Back height from seat 18 inches
- 12-Inch Rear Wheels
- Lightweight Aluminum Frame
- Convenient Lever for Back Release
- Simple Fold Mechanism
- Padded Nylon for Comfort
- Built in Seat Belt
- Go Anywhere – The ProBasics 19-Inch Transport Aluminum Wheelchair helps you travel anywhere thanks to the sturdy rear wheels.
- Packs Up Easily – This ProBasics transport wheelchair is designed with an easy fold mechanism to allow it to be stored simply and efficiently as the handles can be strapped to the seat. The wheelchair’s flared handle design is both comfortable for the caregiver who is pushing the wheelchair and helps the easy back-release hinge for easy and compact folding for both transportation and storage.
Despite how lightweight this wheelchair is, it still proves itself to be quite durable in transporting anyone up to 300 pounds. It performs very well in narrow spaces, allowing the caregiver to easily maneuver the wheelchair in any home or business hallway.
- COMFORTABLE LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELCHAIR: This aluminium transport wheel chair has easy-to-use back release hinges allowing the wheel chair to easily fold down for storage and/or transport. Padded full-length permanent armrests. Supports patient weights up to 300 lb
- 12-INCH REAR WHEELS: This Transport wheelchair has large 12-inch rear wheels for better performance on uneven surfaces and a smoother comfortable ride. A portable wheelchair that is safe, very comfortable, and perfect for travel or everyday use.
- SAFETY FEATURES: Transport chair has an adjustable seat belt for added user safety. User activated push-to-lock brakes & companion-activated lockable hand brakes for safety and stability when entering and exiting the transport wheel chair.
- CONVENIENCE FEATURES: This folding transport wheel chair has flared handles with companion-activated lockable hand brakes for safety. Padded seat tool-free swing away foot rests with composite footplates and heel loops. Nylon seat straps for folding and lifting.
- WHEELCHAIRS FOR ADULTS: Trust in the ProBasics brand, a leading provider of lightweight wheelchairs for adults. Our company's purpose is to improve the lives of our customers. Rest easy knowing our wheel chairs live up to your high standards.
- 12-Inch Rear Wheels
- Patented NOVA Feather Touch Locking Hand Brakes
- Flip Up Desk Arms
- Extra Wide – The additional seat width provided by this NOVA chair gives the user additional comfort, especially if narrower chairs have proven to be too confining.
- Lightweight Frame – While the frame of this chair is made of durable aluminum, it is still lightweight, offering the best of both worlds.
Users of this wheelchair tend to really enjoy the unique arm rest design of this chair. The specially designed desk arms are shorter than normal arm rests and are positioned at an angle to allow the user to roll directly up to a dining table, desk, or any other surface table, which often has proven impossible with normal wheelchair arm designs. The convenient flip up desk arms also give you the opportunity to easily use the wheelchair as a table or as a desk.
- Most versatile lightweight and extra wide/heavy duty Transport Chair with flip up desk arms, locking hand brakes and 12" rear wheels
- Comes with NOVA's patented Feather Touch locking hand brakes, ideal for inclines and bumpy terrain
- Folds easily and compactly making it ideal for travel and getting the chair in and out of a vehicle
- Flip up desk arms make it easy to transfer in and out as well as use at a table or desk. Seat width between arms is 22.5 inch. Arm height from seat is 10 inch. Back height from seat is 17.5 inch
- Weight capacity - 400 lbs; Seat dimensions - 21.25"w x 15.5"d; Seat height - 20"; Opened overall width - 28"; Overall dimensions folded - 10.5"W x 38"D x 20.5"H; Product weight - 27 lb
- Powder Coated Aluminum Frame
- 12 Inch Rear Wheels
- Collapsible back
- Ultra-Durable – The metal frame of this wheelchair is made of durable aluminum that is supported by a powder coating to help protect it from any rust or general deterioration down the road.
- Great Outdoor Performance – The large rear wheels on this design ensure high-quality performance on even the most unsteady outdoor flooring, ensuring that this wheelchair can safely transport your loved one even when the sidewalk ends and they have to do a little off-roading.
- Breathable Material – The nylon upholstery of this wide seat is layered for additional support and reinforcement, but it is also extremely breathable, ensuring that the occupant does not get overheated at all during their transportation.
- Easy Storage – This chair folds up nicely, and its ease of storage is only increased with the convenient detachable footrests.
This wheelchair really lives up to its other positive reviews – the loop-lock handbrakes are very easy to use, and they work with the seat belt to ensure maximum safety to the user. Both the handles and the footrest heights are adjustable, and the seat itself is quite comfortable. This transporter can handle any kind of outing you need it to, whether you are traveling by car, up and down hills by foot, bumpy streets, uneven sidewalks, and even going across a lawn.
- Medline transport wheelchair has large 12 inch rear wheels for better performance on uneven outdoor surfaces | Loop-style manual handbrakes are ideal for locking the rear wheels during transfers
- Powder coated aluminum ultralight frame is durable and has a weight capacity of 300 lbs
- Portable back is collapsible (folds down) for easy storage, transport and travel
- Full length permanent armrest | Detachable footrests | Seat belt for safety | Comfortable nylon upholstery
- Seat dimensions are 18 x 16 inches
- Steel Frame
- Superior Maneuverability
- Cushioned Armrests
- Easy to Clean – The nylon upholstery is simple to clean, so you don’t have to work up a sweat if any accidental spills occur during transportation.
- Durable – The steel frame of this wheelchair offers reliable stability while still being lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- Comfortable – The cushioned armrests prevent any potential arm pain for the user.
The swing away footrests are an incredibly handy feature of this transport wheelchair, allowing the user to sit down and get up without worrying about tripping over the footrests. This durable chair travels well over rough terrain, and it packs away in a car without any hassle.
- Durable steel frame provides reliable stability when using independently or with assistance
- Superior maneuverability in narrow indoor layouts
- Cushioned armrests and swing away footrests ensure comfort
- Chair and backrest fold flat for easy transportation
- Nylon seat upholstery is simple to clean
Clicking through to any of these wheelchairs will give you access to the prime deals that Amazon has to offer for each of these wheelchairs, including discounts on the chair and on shipping for Amazon Prime members.
If you’d like to learn more about transport wheelchairs, here is a good video from Nova explaining some of the details: