The Top Portable Wheelchair Ramps Reviewed
The unfortunate truth of our society is that we cater to people who walk, and that people in wheelchairs have many issues to contend with when it comes to mobility.
It does not matter how readily they can handle their wheelchair if the world does not give them the basic requirements to get around, such as wheelchair ramps where there are stairs.
Even if your home has a lift or a ramp, you still face problems whenever you visit a friend’s home or a business and realize there is no ramp for your chair.
However, there is a way to help combat this inconvenience.
While it would be wonderful if all homes and businesses installed a ramp, the best solution in the here and now for your troubles is a portable wheelchair ramp. No matter where you travel or what businesses you visit, your folding wheelchair ramp will allow you access to the building or vehicle with little to no fuss.
Owning a portable wheelchair ramp will allow you to easily access the world without the same troubles as before. The portability means you can take it anywhere, be it for a leisurely trip to a movie theater or to the bank to speak to an accountant. You can take your own wheelchair ramp with you wherever you go, and you will not have to worry about whether you will be able to get into the building.
Portable Wheelchair Ramp Quick Reference
We cover what to look for in a portable wheelchair ramp and review each model in detail below. But for those in a hurry, here is a quick summary of the ramps in our review:
What to Look For In A Wheelchair Ramp
A good portable wheelchair ramp will be large and sturdy enough to account for both your own weight and the weight of your chair, be it traditional or electric. This is the most important aspect of your ramp, aside from its portability. However, it should also be compact and easily transported, in order to allow you maximum mobility and usage. When you find the right ramp for you, everything will seem much easier.
Perhaps you are unsure where to start in your search for a good folding wheelchair ramp. Here are the top 4 portable wheelchair ramps on the market, and what makes them the best. Maybe one of these is exactly what you need.
This sleek ramp is 30” wide, no matter what length you buy, and its surface is slotted to prevent water from collecting on it, even in rainy weather. Reviews say it is lightweight and easily portable and can easily accommodate various types of wheelchairs and some scooters, as long as they are narrow enough.
Here are some basics about exactly what makes the Drive Medical Portable Ramp one of the best:
- It has a weight capacity of up to 600 pounds
- It can accommodate electric and traditional wheelchairs, as long as it is less than 30” wide from wheel to wheel
- It features a carrying a case and is relatively lightweight for its size
- It is available in lengths from 3 feet long up to 6 feet long
- It has perforated slots to prevent water gathering
- Previous customers have complained it does not come as pictured – the handle is smaller than anticipated
- Some have troubles with the top hinge, but it does not appear to be a common occurrence
- Designed to transition wheelchair or scooter from one surface to another
- Durable, lightweight construction
- Comes with carry bag
- Perforated slots keep water from collecting on ramp
- Overall Dimensions: 37"(L) x 28.5"(W) x 4"(H); Inside Track Width: 26.5"; Weight Capacity: 600 lbs
Here is a YouTube video showing more info on the Drive Medical ramp:
It has the same weight capacity of the ramp above with a 600-pound limit. The Titan ramp, however, has a slip resistant surface for easy wheelchair traction.
It is made of aluminium, and it is a bit heavier than some ramps, weighing in at around 40 pounds. It has a 4-star rating on Amazon, with generally positive reviews.
However, it is a 6-foot-long ramp with good flexibility for easy placement and use in all sorts of situations. It has a 2.5” angled lip with holes to easily secure the ramp in place. It even has a soft nylon carrying handle for easy portability.
Despite its seemingly overwhelming length, it is incredibly easy to carry this tool around. Is the Titan the right ramp for you?
- It has a nice, sleek appearance, with a slip-resistant surface for maximum traction.
- It has a soft nylon carrying handle for easy portability
- It is 6 feet long, which is a good length for ramps
- It has a 2.5” angled lip with holes for securing the ramp
- It has a 600 pound weight limit
- It is a bit heavy, coming in at around 40 pounds
- It does not come with a carrying case – but the ramp itself folds into a compact shape with a handle
- Capacity: 600 lbs - Includes 1 ramp - Slip resistant grip surface
- 2.5" angled lip with holes to secure ramps in place - Soft nylon handle for easy carrying
- Weight: 40 lbs - Size: 72" L x 29" W
- Folds: 40" x 14.5" x 8" - Material: Aluminum - Recommended for use with a scooter or wheelchair and not intended for walking
Unlike other ramps, this portable wheelchair ramp is welded rather than riveted. This makes it stronger than some of the other ramps out there, and ideal for heavier individuals or heavier chairs and scooters.
It also features a handle for easy carrying. It even has an anti-slip, skid resistant surface to prevent potential accidents. It is somewhat heavier than other models, but its usefulness and sturdiness are worth a few extra pounds.
Here is just a brief summary of what makes this a great portable ramp.
- It can accommodate up to 800 pounds – which is higher than many other wheelchair ramps
- It is available in lengths anywhere from 2 feet and 5 feet long, and it is 30 inches wide
- It has an anti-slip, skid resistant surface
- It features a handle and can be easily carried, like a suitcase
- It is incredibly sturdy and durable, with welded construction instead of riveted
- Some customers have complained that the middle hinges stick out, although others say that it does not actually present any hindrance
- Some past users have stated that the edges are not very secure and have a tendency to slip off, but this is a very rare issue
- Welded fabrication rather than riveting
- Surface is covered with anti-slip skid resistant tape for maximum traction
- Full 30" wide platform design for maximum support and stability. Capacity - 800 Pounds
- Has a handle for easy carrying. Carries like a suitcase.. Durable welded construction
- Accommodates Wheelchairs and Scooters with Various Wheel Configurations
Here is a YouTube video offering more info on Prairie View ramps:
This portable ramp is 31 inches wide, and features a high traction, grit surface which is perfect for traditional and electric wheelchairs. When folded, it has a simple carrying handle, and measures approximately 16 inches wide by 3 inches high, which is easily transportable. With its small size, it is relatively lightweight, weighing in a bit less than 20 pounds.
The Clevr 36 inch ramp is great for anyone looking for a small, easy to use ramp.
- It measures 31 inches wide, which is slightly wider than many other wheelchair ramps
- It can hold up to 600 pounds
- At 3 feet long, it is perfect for overcoming any step of 6 inches or less
- It features a gritty, high traction surface to prevent slipping
- When folded, it is very compact and easy to carry around
- It is relatively weather resistant
- It is rather small, and really only suited for one or two steps rather than multiple
- There are not many ways to secure the edge, although there are a few holes for pins or nails in order to keep the edge from slipping
- EXTRA WIDE: 31" wide, 36" long, designed for manual and power wheelchairs to conveniently access porches, curbs, and landings with a high-traction grit coat surface
- According to ADA recommendation, 36" long ramp is suitable for less than 6" height rise from the ground , maximum height rise for unoccupied wheelchairs and scooters is 10"
- Includes safety pins and a built-in carrying handle
- Folds to 16" wide by 3" high for portability and storage
- Most of our items have a picture and/or description of the contents on the box. Please contact us if you would like for us to cover it.
Choosing The Best Portable Wheelchair Ramp
Portable wheelchair ramps are a great solution to a problem that has yet to find a permanent solution. Someday, perhaps, homes and businesses will utilize ramps to their fullest, and the world will be more accommodating to differently abled people rather than solely focusing on the able bodied. However, until that day arrives, folding ramps are a great solution that can make your life so much easier.
There are lots of wheelchair ramp models available today. Some are made of different materials, or have different surfaces. Some are quite long, where others are solely for conquering small height rises.
Whatever the case may be, there is a wheelchair ramp out there for you. These are just the top 4 portable ramps, and one of these amazing models is sure to help you feel that much more ready to conquer the world.